|4||Bristow Firestone Station Restoration||
Although the Bristow Firestone Station was constructed in the midst of hard times – the Great Depression began just three months after the announcement that it would be built at the north end of Bristow’s Main Street – it did thrive for a long time at its location on Route 66, where people still traveled, bought gas, and required services and tires for their cars despite a bad economy. The Firestone Station was actually a harbinger of a new trend in the way business was done along the Mother Road. Whereas in the past, most businesses – service stations, motor courts, and cafes – were mainly mom and pop operations, the Firestone Station was just one of a chain of such service stations built by the tire company and by other companies as well. In the years to come, increasingly, business was done at chain stores such as the Bristow Firestone Station as often as it was done at mom and pop operations.
I think we should move the "Related Awards" info here, or delete this section. Project Description is sufficient.
|1||2013-02-25 16:20:20||2017-08-16 18:38:39||View Edit Delete|
|6||Rock Cafe Rehabilitation||
The Rock Cafe was aptly named when it was built in 1939 from rock quarried during the construction of Route 66. Located in the small town of Stroud, Oklahoma, the cafe struggled economically when the town was bypassed by the Interstate, and again when the town was struck by a devastating tornado. The owner of the cafe had considered closing the cafe like many of the other businesses in Stroud, but understanding the historic significance of the property, decided instead to pursue the benefits of historic preservation. The owner began by working with the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS) to successfully list the building on the National Register of Historic Places. Then, through an OHS sub-grant process, the owner was awarded grant funds for rehabilitation from the National Park Service Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program. Rehabilitation work included repairs to the neon sign, masonry, windows, and interior floors. Three interior and exterior doorways were restored to their original location, and new fire-suppression, gas supply, electrical, and HVAC systems were installed.
Since the restoration was completed in 2003, the cafe business has flourished. As a result of the improvements to the building, the business is able to operate much more efficiently, which has attracted more customers. This in turn has enabled the owner to expand hours of operation and hire more staff. The cafe has also been recognized as a desirable event venue, and has hosted car shows, motorcycle rallies, and other groups. With these successes, the owner has also been able to construct a new business nearby, which serves as a Route 66 gift shop.
The story and project served as an inspiration for the character Sally who restored the Cozy Cone Motel in the 2006 Disney/Pixar film "Cars". In 2008, a devastating fire burned the Rock Cafe, leaving only the stalwart rock walls standing. Undeterred, the owner rebuilt the cafe with modest assistance from the NPS program and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, reopening in 2009. The Rock Cafe remains an icon on Route 66 today, telling an incredible story of determination and spirit on Route 66.
|I am confused about what is supposed to go here.||1||2013-02-26 12:55:33||2016-08-26 16:44:41||View Edit Delete|
|10||Historic L Motel Rehabilitation||
The historic L Motel in Flagstaff, Arizona, opened its doors in 1949 to the increasing number of Americans traveling Route 66. The property was originally built with a stucco exterior reflecting the Pueblo Revival style. In 1965, it underwent a major change when it was remodeled in the International architectural style, complete with wood canopies, wrought iron posts, and decorative, concrete screen walls. With over 60 years of continuous operation, the L Motel has been determined eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. New owners purchased the property in 2010, and have made significant improvements to the plumbing, electrical system, interior furnishings, and more. The L Motel has received two separate grant awards; one to assist with stucco restoration and replacement of doors to address serious fire and other safety issues and the oher to assist with ongoing rehabilitation of the motel, including heating and air conditioning systems
|1||2013-03-05 15:05:28||2017-08-16 18:42:03||View Edit Delete|
|11||Palms Grill Restoration||
If you could see it in 2005—its brick facade crumbling; pigeons flying out; rain falling in—you wouldn’t believe it is the cafe, museum and meeting space it is today. That the DowneyBuilding, located on Arch Street in downtown Atlanta, Illinois, had fallen into ruin, is not unusual. That the Atlanta Public Library & Museum (APLM) would take on a project to restore it, is.
Built in 1867, the two-story brick building, with its arched windows and decorative cornice, came with a rush of new construction as Atlanta grew up alongside the Alton & Sangamon Railway. Historically the Downey contained two storefronts: the south holding a bank; the north, a millinery, a hardware, a grocery, and eventually the cafe.
Opened in 1934 as the Palms Grill, the eatery offered table seating on the left and a counter on the right. Despite its small size, a room in back was large enough to hold dances and Bingo every night at 8:00pm.
The little cafe carried on for three decades, serving locals and Route 66 travelers and then closed. The north side became a residence for over 20 years, until it was donated to the APLM.
The APLM saw in the dilapidated Downey new life. and applied for a cost-share grant, conceiving a three-phase project. The first phase funded a preservation plan to guide the restoration. The second phase carried out the heavy construction work, totally reconstructing the brick façade, replacing floor joists in the upper story, and installing a new roof. Through fundraising efforts, the third phase reconstructed the interior, creating an exhibit space upstairs and the new Palms Grill Cafe below.
Walk through the door and you’ll and see the cafe accrately restored to its 1940s appearance. On the right is the counter with its swivel chairs; on the left, small tables tucked against a wall. A blackboard lists homemade pies. Locals claim the cafe is again Atlanta’s social spot.
|1||2013-03-14 09:26:23||2016-08-26 16:47:00||View Edit Delete|
|13||Del’s Restaurant Restoration||
One of the defining elements of many Route 66 properties, whether motels, restaurants, or retail outlets, is neon. A fine example of a building that was originally decorated with plentiful neon signage is Del’s Restaurant in Tucumcari, New Mexico. With its tall sign topped by the figure of a Hereford cow, Del’s has had an iconic presence along Route 66 since it was built in 1956. Del’s is still a highly popular dining spot on Route 66, as travelers with a yen for history continue to stop in for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
|1||2013-03-25 18:10:12||2016-08-26 17:07:49||View Edit Delete|
|14||Wagon Wheel Motel Rehabilitation||
Among the many things that make the Wagon Wheel Motel in Cuba, Missouri, a special place are its use of local stone as it primary building material, combined with its Tudor-revival style design. Local farmers provided the stone that a well-known mason used to construct the lodgings, and while stone was not an uncommon material to be used in constructing motels in Missouri, the Tudor revival style was an unusual design choice. Built in 1935, the motel is also the earliest tourist court on Missouri Route 66 that still accommodates overnight travelers.
|1||2013-04-18 14:35:09||2016-08-26 17:08:53||View Edit Delete|
|15||Arcadia Round Barn Restoration||
The Odor-Robison Round Barn, while bearing the distinction of being one of the oldest historic properties along Route 66, is also certainly one of the more unique buildings along the Mother Road. Consisting of a round structure topped by a dome-like shingle roof, the forty-eight foot high building has a ground story that has historically been used to house stock and as a livery stable; the second story loft, meanwhile, has been the scene of many a barn dance and other community functions, and even now it is still used in this way. Today, the Round Barn’s first floor is in use as a museum interpreting local and Route 66 history. Indeed, the old road passes within yards of the Round Barn, and is one of the iconic attractions of the national road.
|1||2013-04-18 15:16:39||2016-08-26 17:11:35||View Edit Delete|
|16||Boots Court Roof Restoration||
In 1939, Arthur Boots built the Boots Court in Carthage, Missouri at the strategic intersection of U.S. Highways 66 and 71. He designed the building in a Streamline Moderne style with carports and gas pumps located near the front office. The motel remained in operation until 2001, and soon after became threatened with demolition to make way for a new corner drugstore. Fortunately, the deal fell through, and in 2011 new owners stepped in to restore the motel to operating condition.The grant project returned the property to its historic appearance by removing a deteriorated pitched roof installed in the 1970s. Now that the roof is restored, the building will be secure from the elements and become eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. A second grant was awarded in 2015 to restore the architectural neon to operating condition, completing the exterior restoration of the motor court to its 1940s appearance.
|1||2013-05-30 16:00:43||2016-08-26 17:15:22||View Edit Delete|
|36||Rialto Theatre Rehabilitation||
The Arizona State Historic Preservation Office in partnership with the City of Winslow, Arizona, received cost-share funds to prepare a condition assessment report, and to rehabilitate portions of the historic Rialto Theatre in downtown Winslow, Arizona. Rehabilitation included roof, façade, entryway, structural, and interior repairs. The Rialto Theatre was built in 1920 for performing arts and vaudeville acts, before it was converted to a cinema. It has been closed since 1966. Since rehabilitation, the theater has re-opened for business as the only first-run theater within a 60-mile radius of Winslow.
|1||2013-12-03 16:36:21||2016-08-26 17:16:52||View Edit Delete|
|93||Skylark Motel Neon Tower Rehabilitation||
In 1936, an entrepreneurial family opened “Johnson’s Mo-Tel Cabins” in downtown St. Clair, Missouri. When Route 66 was realigned as a new 4-lane divided highway northwest of town, the family built another motel on the new alignment. Opened in 1952, the Skylark Motel was characterized by its two-story, Art Deco, glass block tower. Multicolored neon lights behind the glass blocks illuminated the tower at night, reflecting against the white stucco exterior to create a magnificent rainbow of color. After expanding to include a restaurant, the property was converted to a VFW post in 1993. After the sign had gone dark for many decades, the VFW worked with the Route 66 Association of Missouri’s Neon Heritage Preservation Committee to restore the glass tower to operating condition.
|1||2015-02-09 14:59:38||2016-08-26 17:18:37||View Edit Delete|
|18||Flagstaff Route 66 Rest Area Interpretive Project||
In 2006, the City of Flagstaff, Arizona worked with the Arizona Department of Transportation to save a 770-foot long stretch of historic Route 66 that was slated for demolition as part of a road improvement project. The city then connected the historic stretch of concrete roadbed to the Flagstaff Urban Trails System, a citywide network of nonmotorized paths for bicyclists, walkers, hikers, runners, and others. The roadway became a centerpiece of the system when a rest area was developed to celebrate the community’s Route 66 heritage. The grant assisted with the design, development, and construction of interpretive signs that highlight the regional and local history of Route 66 for local users and travelers to understand and enjoy.
|1||2013-06-06 14:41:28||2016-08-26 17:47:26||View Edit Delete|
|19||Sprague Super Service||
The brainchild of William W. Sprague, the two-story, Tudor Revival style Sprague Super Service on Route 66 in Normal, Illinois, was a combination cafe, filling station, and service station, built toward the beginning of the Depression to provide service and food to travelers. The second story of the building provided housing for both Mr. Sprague and for the service station attendant.
|1||2013-06-06 14:51:03||2016-08-29 12:16:24||View Edit Delete|
|20||Crestwood Bowl Neon Restoration Project||
The American bowling boom began in the 1940s, promoted by the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II as a recreation outlet for servicemen. Bowling alleys sprang up throughout America along major arterials such as Route 66. St. Louis, Missouri, was home to a concentration of bowling stars, and in 1957 three of them formed a partnership to build the Crestwood Bowl. The bowling alley had 24 lanes, a small restaurant, and a bar. Still in operation, the bowling alley has changed very little since 1957, including its neon sign. As one of the few remaining vestiges of Route 66 in the area, the Crestwood Bowl sign has been designated a St. Louis County Landmark by the St. Louis County Historic Buildings Commission. Dark since 2009, the owner worked with the Route 66 Association of Missouri's Neon Heritage Preservation Committee to fully restore the neon sign to operating condition.
|1||2013-06-06 14:57:53||2016-08-26 17:21:03||View Edit Delete|
|21||Circle Cinema Theatre Façade Restoration||
The Circle Cinema was built in 1928 on land east of Tulsa, Oklahoma that would soon after become Tulsa’s first suburban development. The original construction cost was $77,000, including a Robert Morton organ that would accompany vaudeville acts and silent movies. The Circle Cinema remained popular into the 1960s, when interstate construction brought decline to the area. By the 1980s, the theater was in poor condition and condemned for demolition until it was purchased by the Circle Cinema Foundation in 2003 as part of community development grant. As the only pre-1960s theater remaining in Tulsa, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The foundation has since undertaken extensive restoration work and reopened the theater. The grant project aided in the completion of facade restoration, including entry doors and ticket window.
|1||2013-06-06 15:10:13||2016-08-26 17:22:52||View Edit Delete|
|22||Route 66 Motel Sign and Roof Rehabilitation||
The Route 66 Motel has been a welcoming stop on Route 66 in Kingman, Arizona for more than 50 years. Its towering red and yellow neon sign remains a beacon in the night for travelers stopping to photograph the sign, stay the night, or visit the Route 66 gift shop. Built in 1963 as the “Pony Soldier”, the motel is a two-story, brick building with decorative, extruded mortar joints. An aging electrical system had caused many portions of the sign to stop working, and the flat roof on the motel building needed repair. Grant funds assisted with these priority preservation needs, so it can continue to serve as an important Route 66 landmark in Kingman.
|1||2013-06-06 15:29:15||2016-08-26 17:25:23||View Edit Delete|
|23||Ariston Cafe Rehabilitation||
For sheer durability and longevity, there are few businesses along old Route 66 that can match the Ariston Cafe in Litchfield, Illinois. Owned by the same family since its beginning in 1924 in Carlinville, Illinois, the current cafe in Litchfield, where it has been located since 1935, has retained most of its historic integrity over the years. A banquet room was added in 1974, but the materials and appearance of this addition were matched to that of the original building, the dominant feature of which is the tan, red, and beige stretcher-bond brick of the facades. The building does not adhere to any particular architectural style; as the National Register of Historic Places Nomination for this property observes, “Its most distinguishing exterior features are its curved parapet wall on the main façade and its finely crafted varied brickwork.”
In addition to its fine interior architecural features and charm, diners can choose among a variety of delicious homemade desserts and regional specialities such as Toasted Ravioli. Other quaint features of the cafe are the white table cloths and reading glasses for the menu for those who may have forgotten their own.
|1||2013-06-06 15:35:05||2016-08-26 17:26:34||View Edit Delete|
|24||Del Rhea Chicken Basket Rehabilitation||
The Chicken Basket began in the 1930s as a lunch counter attached to a service station in then- rural Hinsdale, Illinois. This mix and match of functions was typical for Route 66 establishments, which often operated on very thin profit margins that required them to be creative in attracting customers. Legend has it that in the late 1930s two local farm women offered a deal to original owner Irv Kolarik, who was looking to expand his food menu. They would reveal their excellent fried chicken recipe to Mr. Kolarik and his customers if he would promise to buy the necessary chickens from them. To sweeten the deal the women offered to teach him how to actually fry the chicken. Soon, the service station was history and the Chicken Basket was born.
|1||2013-06-06 15:37:34||2016-08-26 14:20:15||View Edit Delete|
|25||Luna Cafe Neon Sign Restoration||
The Luna Cafe in Mitchell, Illinois was built in 1926, the same year Route 66 was commissioned as a highway. With over 85 years of continuous service, the Luna has reportedly had many famous visitors including Al Capone, Elvis Presley, Hank Williams Sr., and Ike & Tina Turner. Local memory recalls it serving variously as a Route 66 cafe, piano bar, boarding house, upscale restaurant, and meeting spot for gangsters. The neon sign with its iconic ruby red cherries lit up the night for over 40 years before going dark in the 1990s.The Missouri and Illinois Route 66 Associations partnered with the owner of the Luna to oversee the restoration of the sign. Grant funds assisted with this effort.
|1||2013-06-06 15:39:58||2016-08-26 17:27:37||View Edit Delete|
|26||Meramec River Bridge Historic Structures Report||
Constructed in 1931-1932, the Meramec River Bridge is a 1,009’-long, three-span, steel deck truss and girder structure located near Eureka in the Missouri Route 66 State Park. The bridge carried Route 66 traffic until it was bypassed by I-44 in the 1960’s. Today it serves as a centerpiece of the Route 66 State Park, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009. Now closed to traffic and under threat of demolition due to its deteriorated condition, it was listed on Missouri Preservation’s Most Endangered Historic Places list for two years in a row. As part of a larger master planning effort, grant funds assisted with the preparation of a Historic Structures Report to evaluate preservation options and rehabilitation costs for the bridge.
|1||2013-06-06 15:42:41||2016-08-26 17:29:06||View Edit Delete|
|27||Sunset Motel Neon Sign and Motel Restoration||
The Sunset Motel in Villa Ridge, Mo., is a wonderful example of a vanishing breed. Motels such as this one, located some 40 miles west of St. Louis on county Highway AT (formerly Route 66), have been deteriorating and disappearing since before the decommissioning of the highway. Once upon a time there were myriad motels and motor courts not unlike the Sunset Motel, many of which were adorned with the neon signs that are so closely associated with the old road.
|1||2013-06-06 15:45:34||2016-08-26 17:53:17||View Edit Delete|
|28||Historic Seligman Sundries Roof||
With its distinct false-front, shading porch and an array of sweets and cool drinks, Seligman Sundries has been attracting travelers to its soda fountain since the 1920s. Built around 1905, the building served different purposes over the years, including a dance hall, theater and later, a drugstore. During the US 66-era went it by the name of Ted’s Fountain and Trading Post, cars corralled around the store, as tourists stepped inside for a soda or sundries. The cost-share grant aided in the instalation of a new asphalt shingle roof, replicating close to how it looked during its Route 66 heyday.
|1||2013-06-06 15:53:16||2016-08-26 17:36:51||View Edit Delete|
|29||Relighting of Historic Signs of Figueroa Street||
On North Figueroa Street in Los Angeles, California, the spirit of Route 66 lives on in some determined neighborhood activists who wanted to save some of the icons that marked the old road’s passage through the city. Two historic signs that have long stood sentinel over North Figueroa Street, once a part of Route 66, had fallen on hard times and needed rehabilitation, and the neighborhood rallied around efforts to save them.
The sign required extensive rehabilitation, including restoration of the neon and opal glass, treatment for the oxidization of the sign cabinet, removal of bird infestation, and rewiring. The official relighting of the Manning’s Coffee Store sign was held on January 10, 2012, and was well-attended by members of the Figueroa Street community.
|1||2013-06-06 15:58:00||2016-08-26 17:42:59||View Edit Delete|
|33||Cities Service Station No.8||
This grant project brought new life to Cities Service Station No. 8, located on old Route 66 at 1648 Southwest Blvd. in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The station, which was built in 1940, was once a central element of the West Tulsa neighborhood in which it stands. The building was remodeled to its present configuration in 1950, and is a two-bay service station that catered to automobile traffic from the immediate neighborhood and those taking Route 66 through Tulsa.
|1||2013-06-24 14:28:58||2016-08-26 17:44:14||View Edit Delete|
|31||Colors of the West||
Colors of the West, a curio shop in Williams, Arizona, is housed in a building with a long and complex history. Originally intended to be a bank, its first tenant was a grocery store. The building was constructed in 1912 by C.E. Boyce, who was responsible for erecting many of the buildings in the Williams central business district during the first and second decades of the 20th century. The building was situated on the old Whipple Wagon Road, which eventually became Route 66, making its location a strategic one for the building’s tenants, since the busy road ran past its doorstep. Williams, which is 30 miles west of Flagstaff and 60 miles south of the Grand Canyon, is also known as the “Gateway to the Grand Canyon,” making it a major crossroads for travelers following Route 66 to the Grand Canyon and other destinations.
|1||2013-06-10 08:12:21||2016-08-26 17:55:48||View Edit Delete|
|35||Mill Restaurant Rehabilitation||
The Mill Restaurant in Lincoln, Illinois, is a prime example of early American roadside architecture, and is one of the few buildings from the era still standing. The restaurant was first opened on Route 66 in 1929 under the name of the Blue Mill. The eatery was constructed by local contractors in the shape of a small Dutch windmill with sails on the front. It was white with blue trim, with continuously turning sails decorated with lights.
|1||2013-06-26 13:18:10||2016-08-26 14:48:29||View Edit Delete|
|34||Valentine Diner Rehabilitation||
The Valentine Diner in Winslow, Arizona is an excellent example of the pre-fabricated diners produced by Valentine Manufacturing after World War II. These diners were perfect for a one-person operation, as they typically sat eight to ten customers and provided a limited menu. Modular in design, they were delivered fully equipped from the factory on a flat bed truck for about $5,000. The Winslow diner was ordered by Mayor J. Lester Allen ca. 1946, and placed directly across the street from the impressive La Posada Hotel. In service until 2002, it was purchased by new owners with the intention of rehabilitating the diner and resuming food service. The building was recently determined eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Grant funds assisted with structural repairs to the underlying basement and a new roof, which has stabilized the building until further action is taken.
|1||2013-06-24 15:21:27||2016-08-26 17:58:13||View Edit Delete|
|77||Baxter Springs Independent Oil & Gas Station||
Baxter Springs is one of the towns along the short but important stretch of Route 66 that passes through Kansas. Less than 13 miles of the road runs through Kansas, but it is a segment of road that is steeped in history. Part of an area that was rich in lead and zinc deposits, leading to a once-booming mining economy in the area, Baxter Springs is home to an original Route 66 service station, the Independent Oil and Gas Service Station. The gas station bears the idiosyncratic design of a time when such stations were built to blend in to their often residential surroundings by adopting “domestic” architectural features. The Independent Oil and Gas Service Station is built in a distinctive Tudor design, with low-swooping eaves and half-timbered gable-ends.
|1||2014-01-03 14:15:29||2016-08-26 18:01:26||View Edit Delete|
|78||Blue Swallow Motel||
On the National Register of Historic Places since 1993, the Blue Swallow Motel is adorned with remarkable neon – namely, blue swallows that give the motel its name. A popular Route 66 destination, the motel consists of an L-shaped floor plan with fourteen units. Each room has an accompanying garage unit as well, evoking an era when traditional Route 66 motor courts catered to their clientele with extra amenities in order to remain competitive.
|1||2014-01-03 14:28:00||2016-08-26 18:02:30||View Edit Delete|
|79||Brush Creek Bridge||
Not far from Baxter Springs along old Route 66 is a bridge of unusual elegance and architectural pedigree. Built in 1923, the Brush Creek Bridge is an example of the Marsh Rainbow Arch design, and as such it is the only one of its kind left along the old highway as it winds through Kansas. Originally there were three such bridges along Route 66 in Kansas, but two were demolished in the early 1990s, leaving only the Brush Creek Bridge.
|1||2014-01-03 14:41:37||2016-08-26 18:03:23||View Edit Delete|
|80||Carr Service Station||
Built between 1931 and 1933, the Carr Service Station was first constructed in the style of a Phillips 66 Brick Service Station design designated as type “B.” The service station was also given the 1932 Phillips station color scheme, which was a mix of green, orange and blue, with multi-colored shingles on the pitched roof. Around 1943, Phillips eliminated blue from their color scheme and the station subsequently painted over the blue elements with green, orange, and cream. By the late 1940s, the service station had ended its affiliation with Phillips and was now selling Standard products. Accordingly, the station’s color scheme had changed to crème applied over the green paint. Sometime during this period, there was also an addition made to the south side of the building. By 1950, another addition had been made to the west side of the building, greatly increasing its footprint, and the station became a Standard station until the late 1950s, when it changed its affiliation to Mobil. By 1957, the walls were painted white with red trim, in keeping with Mobil’s color scheme. In the 1960s, the multi-colored shingles on the roof were also painted white.
|1||2014-01-03 16:37:59||2016-08-26 18:04:57||View Edit Delete|
|37||Aztec Hotel Rehabilitation||
When it opened in 1925, the Aztec Hotel was not only the most ornate hotel in the city of Monrovia, it was also the first architectural attempt to apply the principles of Mayan art and architecture to modern American buildings. Located along an early alignment of Route 66, the hotel quickly became Monrovia’s premier hostelry and an architectural curiosity in the area. Today, it is the most highly visible landmark in the city, the first of a very few remaining Mayan-styled buildings in the United States, and one of the more unique lodging establishments on Route 66.
|1||2013-12-30 14:29:18||2016-08-26 18:05:58||View Edit Delete|
|38||Odell Standard Oil Gas Station Restoration||
In 1868, John D. Rockefeller formed the Standard Oil Company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This was the beginning of the Standard Oil Trust Company that would soon dominate oil refineries and gas stations around America. In 1890, the Standard Oil Company set up its first company in Illinois.
|1||2013-12-30 14:35:47||2015-01-25 13:30:50||View Edit Delete|
|39||Missouri Route 66 Inventory Survey||
The Missouri State Historic Preservation Program received funds to complete an inventory survey of extant historic properties associated with Route 66 in Missouri. A historic context statement for Route 66 properties in Missouri was also developed. The project included the preparation of National Register of Historic Places nominations for select properties including the Big Chief Hotel and Cabins in Wildwood; the 66 Drive-In Theatre Historic District in Carthage; the Rock Fountain Court Historic District in Springfield; the Wagon Wheel Historic District in Cuba; and the Red Cedar Inn in Pacific. National Register status makes these properties potentially eligible for rehabilitation tax credits and other preservation incentives.
|1||2013-12-30 14:42:01||2015-02-23 13:12:36||View Edit Delete|
|40||New Mexico Route 66 Inventory Survey||
The New Mexico State Historic Preservation Division received grant funds to update and complete an inventory survey of existing properties associated with Route 66 in New Mexico. The project also included the preparation of National Register nominations for the 1920s La Bajada road segment south of Santa Fe; Sam’s Tire and Lube Shop in Los Lunas; and a multiple property listing for historic neon signs on New Mexico Route 66.
|1||2013-12-30 14:47:25||2015-02-23 13:28:18||View Edit Delete|
|41||New Mexico Neon Sign Restoration||
The New Mexico State Historic Preservation Division in cooperation with the New Mexico Route 66 Association received cost-share funds to restore and make operable 10 historic signs in several towns along Route 66 in New Mexico. The restored signs include the TeePee Curios, La Cita Restaurant, and Paradise Motel in Tucumcari; the Sun n’ Sand in Santa Rosa; El Comedor de Anayas Restaurant in Moriarty; the Aztec Motel, the El Rey Theatre, and the Westward Ho Motel in Albuquerque; the Grants Café, and the Uranium Café in Grants; and the Lexington Hotel in Gallup.
|1||2013-12-30 15:14:58||2015-01-25 13:25:16||View Edit Delete|
|42||New Mexico Model Historic Sign Ordinance||
The New Mexico Preservation Heritage Alliance, out of concern for the condition and preservation of signs along the Route 66 corridor in the state of New Mexico, has completed a study of sign ordinances and other policies along the Route in order to discover whether preservation objectives for historic signs are being met. It was determined that a sign ordinance that could govern the treatment of historic signs on a statewide basis was needed. Therefore, a model sign ordinance was written for the state of New Mexico, and has been shared with the other seven states through which Route 66 travels for study and possible adoption.
|1||2013-12-30 15:17:35||2015-02-23 13:57:50||View Edit Delete|
|43||Nob Hill Business District Preservation Brochure||
The Nob Hill Highland Renaissance Corporation received grant funds to produce color brochures to describe for the general public the historical importance and continued use of the Nob Hill Business District in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The preservation of Route 66 era businesses and architecture in the Nob Hill Business District are stressed in the brochures.
|1||2013-12-30 15:22:17||2013-12-30 15:22:17||View Edit Delete|
|44||Oklahoma Rt.66 Inventory Survey & Roadbed Document||
The Oklahoma Historical Society received grant funds to update and expand an inventory survey of extant historic properties associated with Route 66 in Oklahoma. The project included the preparation of National Register of Historic Places nominations for select properties, and the development of a historic context statement. The Oklahoma Historical Society also received funds to document and map extant Route 66 road alignments, and to develop priorities and methodologies for the management and treatment of those alignments in partnership with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation.
|1||2013-12-30 15:30:42||2015-01-25 13:42:48||View Edit Delete|
|45||Texas Route 66 Inventory Survey||
The Friends of the Texas Historical Commission received grant funds to conduct a comprehensive inventory survey of historic properties and road segments associated with Route 66 in Texas. The project identified and mapped the location of all Route 66 road alignments; identified and photographed existing Route 66 properties; and produced a statewide historic context statement, including the identification of properties and districts potentially eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
|1||2013-12-30 15:34:58||2013-12-30 15:34:58||View Edit Delete|
|46||Frontier Motel & Restaurant Neon Sign Restoration||
The Historic Route 66 Association of Arizona in partnership with the Frontier Motel and Restaurant in Truxton, Arizona, was awarded cost-share funds to restore the Frontier’s neon signs. Weather conditions had destroyed the neon tubing and tarnished the metal portions of the signs. Restoration returned the signs to their original appearance and condition, to once again attract travelers on the road. The Frontier has been a Route 66 destination since 1951.
|1||2013-12-30 17:34:22||2014-02-03 16:23:53||View Edit Delete|
|47||Ambler's Texaco Station Restoration||
The Village of Dwight has been awarded cost-share funds to restore the historic Ambler’s Texaco Station located in Dwight, Illinois. The gas station, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, will be restored to its 1940s appearance. Project work will include repair of the windows, doors, and roof, and the exterior and interior will be repainted to match the 1940s color scheme. When the project is completed, the gas station will be used as a Route 66 rest stop and interpretive center.
|1||2013-12-30 17:45:27||2015-02-23 14:42:42||View Edit Delete|
|48||Litchfield-to-Mt.Olive Bike Trail||
A study by the State of Illinois Department of Natural Resources examined alternatives for rehabilitating a National Register-listed segment of Route 66 roadbed for reuse as a bicycle route. The stretch of road under consideration runs approximately ten miles between Mt. Olive and Litchfield in southwestern Illinois, along the northbound lanes of what was once a four-lane stretch of Old Route 66. The northbound lanes, which have been closed to motor traffic since 1990, were examined to shed light on the extent, type, and cost of repairs that would be necessary to provide a smooth ride for bicyclists while leaving intact as much of the original paving as possible. The two southbound lanes of the old roadway are still in use by motor traffic, and have been converted to two-way traffic.
The present configuration of Route 66 between Litchfield and Mt. Olive was built beginning in 1943, when a two-lane alignment of the roadway was replaced by a four-lane highway in order to accommodate the heavy traffic that the route experienced during World War II. During the war, the road took on supreme strategic importance as a defense road for military convoys and transport of wartime materials.
The study resulted in a number of alternatives, which were made available to assist the development of a state-wide bike trail initiative along Route 66.
|1||2013-12-30 17:56:33||2015-02-23 15:16:52||View Edit Delete|
|49||Route 66 Teachers Seminar||
The Illinois State Historical Society was awarded cost-share funds to support a day-long Route 66 teachers’ seminar in Springfield, Illinois, and to establish a lending library of Route 66 educational materials for teachers in Illinois. The cost-share funds helped offset travel costs for teachers to attend the seminar, and contributed to the purchase of lending library materials comprised of Route 66 teaching aids. Through the seminar teachers learned that Route 66 is an outstanding tool for teaching history, geography, math, the arts, and much more.
|1||2013-12-31 11:28:27||2015-02-23 15:06:52||View Edit Delete|
|50||Eagle Hotel Rehabilitation||
The Eagle Hotel in Wilmington, Illinois has a long and varied history. Built in stages between 1837 and 1843, the hotel’s history encompasses three centuries spanning the Civil War, World War I, and Route 66, including the Great Depression and World War II. The oldest section of the building, dating to 1837, is built of limestone, while the later two sections, built between 1838 and 1843, are brick.
In recent times, the hotel has been slated on several occasions; each time, the wrecking ball has been staved off, in part by the building being listed on the Illinois Landmarks Preservation Council’s list of Ten Most Endangered Places. The future of the hotel is still uncertain. Preservationists hope that the hotel can be restored and brought into service, possibly as a hotel and restaurant or a bed and breakfast, serving the local community as well as Route 66 travelers.
|1||2013-12-31 11:52:24||2015-02-23 15:13:16||View Edit Delete|
|94||Greater Springfield Route 66 Oral History Project||
Route 66 is a highway that tells many diverse stories of America in the first half of the 20th century. The Missouri State University Libraries undertook a project to reveal many of the under-told stories of the Ozarks, including African American experiences of Route 66. In consultation with regional Route 66, civic, and other partners, the project used a targeted, needs-based approach to collect 28 oral history interviews. The information was recorded, transcribed, digitized, cataloged, and is now available online for use by students, scholars, and members of the general public at Route 66 Oral History Project
|1||2015-02-09 15:46:11||2016-06-03 17:52:34||View Edit Delete|
|53||Neon Restoration Project||
The New Mexico Route 66 Association assited with the restoration of the Cactus Motel neon sign in Tucumcari, New Mexico. Neon served many purposes, such as increasing the visibility of businesses from the road to attract customers, providing a measure of safety for guests at night, and adding character to buildings via ornamental images such as cacti and sombreros. A percentage of the funds were also be used for the production of an hour-long documentary film featuring the neon restoration projects, Route 66: The Neon Road. The documentary aired on "Colores!", an award-winning public television program.
|1||2013-12-31 12:03:19||2015-02-23 15:22:14||View Edit Delete|
|88||Vic Suhling Neon Sign Restoration||
Once the site of the Ariston Cafe from 1930 to 1934, Vic Suhling purchased the site in 1957 to build the “Vic” Suhling Gas for Less filling station. The station was so successful it operated 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and remained in business until 1973 when Route 66 was bypassed by the interstate. In 1990 the vacant building was razed leaving only the neon sign, which stood sentinel over the empty lot for the next 20 years. In 2011, the lot was purchased to build the recently opened Litchfield Museum & Route 66 Welcome Center. Recognizing the importance of the sign, the museum association in cooperation with the Route 66 Association of Missouri's Neon Heritage Preservation Committee stepped in to restore the sign to operating condition, enhancing the experience and understanding of the Vic Suhling story and Route 66 in Litchfield.
|1||2015-01-29 15:32:54||2015-03-04 18:41:45||View Edit Delete|
|54||Chandler's Phillips 66 Filling Station Restoration||
The owner of the 1930s Phillips 66 Gas Station in Chandler, Oklahoma, was awarded cost-share funds to conduct a restoration feasibility and cost estimate study. As part of this work, a Historic Structures Report was prepared, describing the history, current condition, and potential treatment options for the property. The station originally opened for business in 1930, and operated as a gas station until 1992. When restoration is completed, the building will serve as a rest stop for Route 66 travelers.
|1||2013-12-31 12:07:11||2014-03-05 15:00:07||View Edit Delete|
|55||Magnolia Station Restoration||
The City of Vega, Texas, was awarded cost-share funds to restore the 1920s Magnolia Gas Station in Vega. The restoration project included interior and exterior repair to the existing structure, restoration of the doors, windows, roof shingles, plaster, flooring, and reconstruction of the gasoline pump canopy. The building, which represents unique gas station architecture, operated as a gas station until 1953, and as a barbershop until 1965. It is now serving as an interpretive stop along the older alignment of Route 66 in Vega.
|1||2013-12-31 12:11:31||2015-02-23 15:35:22||View Edit Delete|
|56||Wigwam Motel Preservation/Rehabilitation||
The owner of the 1950 Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, Arizona, was awarded funds for preservation and rehabilitation work on the concrete wigwams, and the motel’s neon sign. The motel is operated by the same family who built it in 1950. It closed in the 1970s, but has been re-opened since 1988. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. The motel is one of seven wigwam villages built throughout the U.S. between the 1930s-1950s. Three of the seven remain today, two of which are located on Route 66.
|1||2013-12-31 13:50:28||2014-03-05 16:43:37||View Edit Delete|
|57||Live Theatre Production and Tour||
The Northern Arizona University Department of Theatre was awarded funds to help promote and support the touring dramatic production, "Route 66: A Celebration of America’s Main Street". The production is an interpretive and educational venue that celebrates the experience of travel during the heyday of Route 66, tells the highway’s history, and examines its historical and cultural significance in American history.
|1||2013-12-31 14:00:13||2015-01-25 19:13:20||View Edit Delete|
The Illinois Route 66 Association was awarded funds to replace the roof and repair the furnace of the Pig-Hip Restaurant in Broadwell, Illinois. The Pig-Hip first opened for business in 1937, and served its famous brisket sandwiches until the restaurant closed in 1991. It subsequently served as a private museum showcasing Pig Hip Restaurant and other Route 66-era artifacts, before it was destroyed by fire in 2007.
|1||2013-12-31 14:06:02||2015-02-23 15:43:38||View Edit Delete|
|59||Metropolitan Park Bathhouse||
The City of Tucumcari, New Mexico was awarded cost-share funds for stabilization work on the Metropolitan Park bathhouse. Built in 1940 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the park contained a pool, bathhouse, playground, and camping facilities. The park is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The city’s long term plans were to open the bathhouse as a historic site to benefit both the local community and the traveling public, however fire destroyed the buidling in 2010.
|1||2013-12-31 14:30:56||2015-02-23 15:48:55||View Edit Delete|
|60||El Rancho Hotel Roof Repair||
The owner of the El Rancho Hotel in Gallup, New Mexico, received funds to repair and seal the motel’s original wood shake roof. Opened in 1937, the hotel has served as a destination spot for coast-to-coast travelers, movie producers, movie stars, and Indian arts collectors. The hotel is still a thriving business on Route 66 today, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
|1||2013-12-31 14:35:44||2015-01-25 19:18:57||View Edit Delete|
|61||Pecos Theatre Preservation Plan||
The New Mexico Route 66 Association administered the production of a preservation plan for the historic Pecos Theatre in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. The report documented the historic structure, analyzed its character and condition, and provided guidance for its rehabilitation and long-term preservation. The report specifically addressed hydrological problems, and made recommendations on returning the exterior façade to its original configuration. The theatre was constructed in the 1920s, and in recent years has operated as a cultural center.
|1||2013-12-31 14:55:04||2015-01-25 19:20:11||View Edit Delete|
|76||Amboy Historic Structures Report||
Historic preservation efforts all along Route 66 have focused on many kinds of properties: service stations, motels, mercantile stores, and cafes and restaurants, among others. But in Amboy, California, there is an unusually large undertaking taking place: the preservation of an entire town that once thrived along the old highway. Amboy can claim another distinction: it may be the most heavily trafficked ghost town in America. Although almost all its businesses and homes are shuttered, thousands of visitors, lured by the charm of Route 66 history, visit the town each year.
|1||2014-01-03 10:30:35||2015-01-25 19:24:42||View Edit Delete|
|68||Preliminary Survey of California Route 66||
The Center for Preservation Education and Planning in Los Angeles, California, received funding for preliminary research on Route 66 historic properties in the State of California. Pre-existing data on historic Route 66 properties was collected to provide a foundation for ongoing survey of historic Route 66 resources. Inventories are the foundation of effective resource management, and will help to identify preservation needs and resources eligible for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places.
|1||2013-12-31 15:48:19||2015-01-25 19:23:58||View Edit Delete|
|69||Soulsby Station Restoration||
The Soulsby Station in Mount Olive, Illinois, is a treasure and iconic stopping place along the Mother Road. Built by the Soulsby family in 1926, it operated for 65 years as a gas station, and simultaneously as an auto, radio, and TV repair shop. The building is an example of the "house with canopy" type of service station that blended in with its residential surroundings. The building has changed little since a 1937 addition that doubled the size of the station.
Rehabilitation came about because the current owner and long-time neighbor realized the historic significance of the building from the attention it received from the stream of Route 66 visitors. With the support of renowned Route 66 author Tom Teague, the nonprofit organization Soulsby Station Society was founded and subsequently awarded a NPS cost-share grant. Dedicated volunteers from the Society worked with the owner to push the project forward and complete restoration work including termite mitigation and siding, flooring, and ceiling repairs.
With its vintage fuel pumps under the drive-through canopy and with its red-and-yellow Shell color scheme, the rehabilitated station is an almost perfect echo of the halcyon days of Route 66.
|1||2013-12-31 16:27:23||2015-01-25 19:30:37||View Edit Delete|
|70||Red Cedar Inn Rehabilitation||
The Red Cedar Inn in Pacific, Missouri, was awarded funds toward the rehabilitation of the kitchen area to allow for current code requirements to be met. The Red Cedar Inn was built in 1934 to take advantage of the commercial opportunities that US 66 brought to its doorstep. Always operating as a restaurant, it was a popular dining spot on the route. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
|1||2013-12-31 16:33:28||2015-01-25 19:31:53||View Edit Delete|
|71||Lexington Hotel Rehabilitation||
The owners of the Lexington Hotel in Gallup, New Mexico were awarded cost-share grant funds for the rehabilitation of the hotel’s store front windows, main entrance awning, south side windows, electrical system, and neon sign. The hotel was built on Route 66 in 1931, and has remained in service as a hotel throughout much of its history. Special features of the hotel include three WPA murals in the hotel lobby. Saved from the wrecking ball by its recent owners, the hotel is slowly being restored while remaining in service as a residential hotel.
|1||2013-12-31 16:36:29||2015-01-25 19:33:20||View Edit Delete|
|72||Route 66 Oral History Project||
The New Mexico Route 66 Association in partnership with the University of New Mexico Department of English administered a comprehensive oral history training project in accordance with the Oral History Associations Evaluation Standards. In Phase I of the project, workshops were conducted in seven states to train attendees in oral history interviews, collections, and management. In subsequent phases, the project provided follow-up technical assistance; located and cataloged existing interviews; preserved select, endangered interviews; produced an oral history collection guide; and identified institutions interested in participating in a national, coordinated system of Route 66 oral history collections, now known as the Route 66 Archives and Research Collaboration. For more information, visit https://ncptt.nps.gov/rt66archive/.
|1||2013-12-31 16:37:58||2015-02-27 14:19:09||View Edit Delete|
|63||Meadow Gold Neon Sign||
Neon signs are among the most evocative of Route 66 icons, but for decades now many of them have been threatened by neglect or demolition. One sign that has been saved from the wrecking ball is the Meadow Gold sign at 11th Street and Lewis Avenue in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The Meadow Gold sign advertised dairy products as part of the Beatrice Foods Company for many years, beginning in the 1940s. Equipped with two 30-by-30 faces, the sign was the largest neon sign in Tulsa at the time of its construction. The sign went dark in the 1990s after decades of declining fortunes for the Beatrice Foods Company, and in the early 2000s, a car dealership bought the small building upon which the sign stood, intending to demolish it and the sign.
|1||2013-12-31 15:20:12||2015-02-23 17:07:12||View Edit Delete|
|64||Roger Miller Museum Window and Door Restoration||
The Roger Miller Museum received a grant to restore the windows and doors of the Roger Miller Museum building, located on Route 66 in Erick, Oklahoma. The 1929 building originally served as a cafe, soda shop, and pharmacy during the route’s period of significance. The building and museum now honor Erick native Roger Miller, a singer known in part for the song “King of the Road.”
|1||2013-12-31 15:28:34||2015-02-23 17:33:28||View Edit Delete|
|65||Oasis Drive-In Rehabilitation||
Preservation El Reno, Inc., received grant funds to rehabilitate the metal palm tree sign and the extant building exterior of the Oasis Drive-In Restaurant in El Reno, Oklahoma. Built in the 1950s, the drive-in is known for having served 5 cent burgers and sodas. The site still stands as a prominent landmark at the east entrance of El Reno.
|1||2013-12-31 15:36:14||2015-02-23 17:57:27||View Edit Delete|
|66||Old Trails Garage Roof Replacement||
Grant funding was awarded for the repair/replacement of the roof of the 1915 Old Trails Garage in Kingman, Arizona. The roof replacement is part of a larger initiative by the owner to restore the building to its 1920s appearance. Historically, the building served as a car dealership and garage for travelers on the Old Trails Highway, and later Route 66. The current owner has worked in the building since the 1930s, and has owned and operated it as a garage since 1979. The building lies within the Kingman Historic Commercial District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
|1||2013-12-31 15:43:27||2015-01-25 19:39:47||View Edit Delete|
|90||Santo Domingo Trading Post||
The Santo Domingo Trading Post is a memorable landmark on the 1926-1932 alignment of US 66 in New Mexico. Established in 1922, the trading post represents a cultural and economic crossroad for the neighboring Santo Domingo Tribe and automobilists. The trading post was very popular historically, and its painted façade was featured in Life and Look magazines. The trading post suffered a devastating fire in 2002, but with assistance from NPS Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program and Economic Development Administration grants, it has been rebuilt. NPS grant funds have assisted with emergency planning and stabilization of the structure prior to reconstruction. A second grant assisted with the restoration of the painted façade, and with the collection of oral histories that explore tribal perspectives of the impact of the automobile and mercantilism.
|1||2015-02-02 11:04:44||2016-08-29 11:52:40||View Edit Delete|
|62||El Rey Theatre Marquee Restoration||
The New Mexico Route 66 Association was awarded cost-share funds to restore the neon marquee of the El Rey Theatre in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Built in 1941, the theatre still serves as an entertainment venue, and is listed on the New Mexico State Registry of Cultural Properties. Now restored, the marquee once again serves as a neon landmark on Albuquerque’s Route 66.
|1||2013-12-31 15:08:18||2015-02-23 18:15:55||View Edit Delete|
|73||Owl Courts Roof Rehabilitation||
The roof over the motel portion of the Owl Courts in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, were repaired/replaced with cost-share grant assistance. The Owl Court was constructed in the early 1930s to cater to travelers on the newly designated 1931 Route 66 bybass around Oklahoma City. The Owl Court complex consisted of a gas station, motel, and cafe until the 1970s. The roof work has served to stabilize the deteriorating condition of the property until additional preservation work takes place.
|1||2013-12-31 16:40:15||2015-02-23 18:31:42||View Edit Delete|
|74||Oklahoma Route 66 Roadbed Preservation Project||
Paul Daniel Marriott & Associates administered a pilot project to develop standards, practices, and protocols for preserving historic roadbeds and associated structures along the length of Route 66. The pilot project focused on Oklahoma for the large number of high integrity road segments that the state possesses, and included a two-day workshop with transportation and preservation professionals. The project emphasized 20 road segments and 25 bridges that have been determined eligible, or are listed on the National Register in Oklahoma. The methodologies and protocols developed are applicable for future work in the other seven states through which Route 66 passes.
|1||2013-12-31 16:44:23||2015-02-23 18:40:59||View Edit Delete|
|75||Sixth Street Chevron Station Restoration||
The owner of a 1939 Chevron gas station received funds toward the restoration of the station located on Sixth Street in Amarillo, Texas. Work included repairs to the roof, north and west exterior walls, and the tin ceiling and neon lighting of the canopy. The station served continuously as a Chevron station until 1962, when it closed to host various others businesses, including an auto body shop. After a long period of vacancy and decay, a recent owner purchased the property and has been working to restore it ever since. Located in the heart of a busy commercial district in Amarillo, the property is now serving as a business office, while maintaining its historic floor plan and appearance.
|1||2013-12-31 16:48:40||2015-02-23 18:44:03||View Edit Delete|
|89||DeCamp Junction Roof Rehabilitation||
From the farm fields of southern Illinois, a road house known as Duda’s Place emerged in 1931 to take advantage of the increasing traffic through the rural town of Staunton. Originally a small building ordered from a Montgomery Ward catalogue, living quarters were added to the rear and a second story was built to create a boarding house. The establishment was known for excellent food and their famous pizza. As Route 66 was bypassed, the road house continued to operate, but began a slow, steady decline. The current owner purchased the building in in the 1990s, and renamed it DeCamp Junction for the coal mine that existed nearby. It continues to operate as a lively road house and community center, while undergoing steady improvements. Grant funds helped replace the extensively damaged roof.
|1||2015-01-29 15:54:37||2015-02-09 18:58:01||View Edit Delete|
|81||Curt Teich Postcard Collection Archive||
Some of the glory of old Route 66 can still be gleaned from the thousands of memories stored at the Curt Teich Postcard Archives. The Archives, housed at the Lake County Discovery Museum in Illinois, are an important collection of postcard images that were printed by the Curt Teich Company of Chicago and other companies. It is the largest public collection of postcards and related materials in the world. The core collection of postcard images consists of the industrial archives of the Curt Teich Company, which contains over one million images dating from 1893 to 1978. These images relate to some 10,000 towns and cities, mostly in the United States and Canada.
|1||2014-01-03 17:00:37||2015-03-18 16:25:58||View Edit Delete|
|82||Williams' Store Restoration Project||
The Williams' Store in Riverton, Kansas, was built in March 1925 and sold everything from gasoline, to groceries, to general merchandise. Patrons could buy shoes, clothes, and food staples such as ice, milk, eggs, bread, fresh meat, canned food, penny candy, and bulk foods such as lard, peanut butter, and vinegar. They also served hot food including chili, barbecued beef and venison. Signs on the building from this time read, Y Not Eat/Williams Bar-B-Q and General Merchandise.
|1||2014-01-03 17:07:31||2016-08-29 12:12:15||View Edit Delete|
|87||Hill Top Motel Heating & Ventilation Rehabilitation||
The land for the Hill Top Motel in Kingman, Arizona was purchased in October of 1953, with construction starting a few months later. The Hill Top is an excellent example of the motel experience that was common during the post-war, family vacation boom. The exterior of the motel has changed little since it opened, and customers still pull right up to the front door of their rooms. The neon sign invites visitors just as it has done for decades, and serves as a popular subject for photos by guests and Route 66 travelers. Grant funds assisted with rehabilitation of the heating and air conditioning systems, along with minor roof repairs.
|1||2015-01-29 14:59:31||2015-02-13 11:46:50||View Edit Delete|
|83||Galena Viaduct Restoration||
Two unusually handsome bridges grace Route 66 as it cuts briefly through the southeastern corner of Kansas. One is the Brush Creek Bridge, three and a half miles north of Baxter Springs, and the other is the Galena Culvert, a soaring, 216-foot bridge that carries traffic over the Missouri Texas and Kansas Railroad tracks, about one mile west of the state line with Missouri. A steel-girder post-and-beam structure encapsulated in concrete, the Galena Culvert was built between 1922 and 1923 on a piece of land called Hells Half Acre. The bridge was part of an effort to create roadways and infrastructure to support the lead and zinc mining industries in the area. The Route 66 roadbed itself has historic significance, since tailings from the mining of lead and zinc, called “chat,” were used in the creation of the concrete-like road surface.
With grant assistance, Cherokee County repaired the viaduct's underdeck superstructure, including some of the worn and damaged footings and concrete reinforced columns. The quality of this work was recognized by the Kansas Chapter of the American Concrete Institute, when Cherokee County was won the 2010 Concrete Construction Award for Bridges. Later phases of work, to be financed by grants and matching funds, will focus on the upper concrete deck, including repairs to balustrades that have been damaged in accidents. As a structure that was essentially built to support industrial operations, the bridge is unusually graceful, rising 21 feet over the rail bed below and following a gently rising and falling arch as it passes from one side of the railroad to the other. Supporting the central span are “H” supports and single post supports. Sidewalks flank the deck on either side, and railings abutting the sidewalks are composed of square posts connected by parallel rails.
|1||2014-01-03 17:25:34||2015-02-27 14:01:02||View Edit Delete|
|98||Devil's Elbow Bridge Emergency Stabilization||
The Devil’s Elbow Bridge was built in 1923. Constructed with the use of hot rivets, the bridge is comprised of two Parker through-trusses and one Warren pony-truss. In 1926, the bridge became part of US 66 until World War II, when a new, four-lane alignment was built to accommodate the large military vehicles of nearby Fort Leonard Wood. Today, the bridge is one of few remaining Route 66 landmarks in the small community of Devil’s Elbow, along with the historic Sheldon’s Market, Elbow Inn and McCoy’s Store and Camp. The bridge had significant structural deficiencies that threatened its continued use. Grant funds assisted with rehabilitation planning and emergency repairs to keep the bridge open.
|1||2015-03-06 17:33:21||2015-03-06 17:45:23||View Edit Delete|
|91||Whiting Bros. #72 Sign Restoration||
Whiting Brothers was established in 1926 as a chain of gasoline stations. At its peak, it operated more than a hundred stations, including at least 40 along Route 66. Its distinctive red-on-yellow signs advertised the businesses, which sometimes included motel complexes. Art and Ernest Whiting built Station #72 in Moriarty, New Mexico in 1954. Later, traffic slowed on Route 66 with the coming of the interstate and business declined. In 1985, a life-time employee purchased Station #72, and still provides automotive services to local residents and travelers on Route 66 today. Grant funds restored the iconic signs to become the only known Whiting Brothers signs in operation today.
A short clip of the relighting ceremony, held on December 5, 2014, can be viewed here (courtesy Roger Holden).
|1||2015-02-02 14:34:41||2015-02-13 18:17:55||View Edit Delete|
|92||Milan Trading Post Electrical System Rehab.||
The Milan Motel and Trading Post has a rich history on Route 66. The motel complex was built in 1947 by the Milan family, for which the town was named. The family also managed a booming carrot industry in the area, which became known as the “Carrot Capital of the United States.” Although a second story was added to the trading post in the 1970s, the motel and trading post retain much of their historic integrity today and are eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Plumbing and electrical system issues have forced the closure of the motel units, but the trading post remains open today. Grant funds assisted with the electrical rehabilitation of the trading post to address serious fire and other safety concerns. Long term goals are to restore the motel units to operating condition.
|1||2015-02-09 12:01:34||2015-02-25 15:24:05||View Edit Delete|
|84||Vickery Phillips 66 Station||
Located in Tulsa, this property is an example of “house” style gas station architecture. This property also possesses a rare example of an early car wash and grease house. Built in 1931, it was used as a Phillips 66 Gas Station through the early 1970s. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. Grant funds assisted with rehabilitation of the building for use as a corporate car rental facility.
|1||2014-05-13 11:42:17||2014-05-13 11:42:17||View Edit Delete|
|85||Donut Drive-In Sign Restoration||
The Donut Drive-In was constructed in 1952 on the classic corner known as “the wedge” on Route 66 at Chippewa Street and Watson Road in St. Louis, Missouri. With the donut shop’s location on the storied Route 66 the Donut Drive-In capitalized on the rising automobile culture. Its name may suggest a link with other Drive-In business beginning to appear at that time, including drive-in restaurants, theaters, and banks. However for the Donut Drive-In, the phrase simply meant that customers could drive their cars into the wedge and park in the relatively new convenience of a parking lot. There was never a drive up window as one might presume from the name.
|1||2014-05-13 15:54:47||2016-08-26 14:28:46||View Edit Delete|
|86||Joe and Aggie's Cafe||
A “mom and pop” cafe, Joe and Aggie’s has been serving tasty enchiladas on Route 66 in Holbrook, Arizona since 1943. Owned and operated by the same family for three generations, the adobe and concrete cafe received funding to assist with important roof, structural, and electrical repairs to ensure that many more generations can enjoy this important part of the route’s living history.
|1||2014-05-13 17:18:21||2015-01-29 18:21:03||View Edit Delete|
|95||American Indians and Route 66||
Route 66 is well known for its connection to American Indian cultures, yet most of the promotion of those cultures came historically from non Indian tourism promoters, trading post operators, and travelers. The American Indian Alaska Native Tourism Association worked with tribes across Route 66 to develop a a first-voice interpretation of the highway. resulting in a guidebook and website, www.americanindiansandroute66.com.
|1||2015-02-09 16:12:38||2016-08-26 18:09:39||View Edit Delete|
|96||Rock Creek Parker Truss Bridge Restoration||
Parker Through Truss Bridge No. 18 at Rock Creek near Sapulpa, Oklahoma was built in 1924. Running parallel to the San Francisco railway tracks, the bridge is distinguished by its red brick decking. Originally part of the Ozark Trail, it became part of US Highway 66 in 1926, and carried highway traffic until 1952 when a new alignment of the highway was built. The bridge has remained in service as part of a county road, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. A beloved local and Route 66 landmark, the bridge was closed to all traffic in 2010 when it did not pass safety inspections. Grant funds will assist the City of Sapulpa with the completion of ongoing repairs and interventions necessary to meet the Oklahoma Department of Transportation recommendations for reopening the bridge.
|1||2015-02-09 16:24:35||2015-02-09 16:24:35||View Edit Delete|
|97||Munger Moss Motel Sign Restoration||
Its bright yellow directional arrow and multi-colored neon letters have attracted overnighters to the Munger Moss since the mid-1950s. But with time and the effects of weather, the sign had begun to show its age. The “M” was missing from "Moss" and much of the neon tubing and geometrical neon design were missing or damaged. The Route 66 Association of Missouri Neon Heritage Preservation Committee worked with the owner to apply for a NPS grant, which helped to restore the main sign as well as the “office” sign to working order.
The sign is an icon along Missouri Route 66, to the extent that the Missouri Department of Transportation has included a reproduction of it at the entrance to their I-44 Route 66-themed rest stop located in Conway, Missouri.
|1||2015-03-04 18:06:28||2015-03-04 18:39:56||View Edit Delete|
|99||Park Hills Motel Roof Rehabilitation||
The Park Hills Motel was built in 1955 in Vinita, Oklahoma, and has remained in service since that time. The one-story, neo-classical style property consists of three detached motel wings, connected only by the roof. The units are arranged in a “U” configuration around a courtyard that includes an ice house. The motel retains its original configuration, design and materials with little or no alterations, including square ceiling beams and original tile in the bathrooms. Grant funds will assist with a much needed new roof for the property. The Park Hills Motel was recently determined eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
|1||2015-03-06 17:47:35||2015-03-06 17:56:01||View Edit Delete|
|100||Cafe on the Route Preservation Plan||
The DouthitBuilding was originally constructed in 1870 in Baxter Springs, Kansas as the Cherokee Bank Building. Its diner history on US 66 began in the 1950’s when it became Murphey’s Diner, famous for its homemade pies. The diner also served as a Grey-hound Bus stop. The lower story of the building has remained in service as a restaurant, and is now known as “Cafe on the Route.” The second story has operated as a bed and breakfast. Grant funds assisted with the preparation of a preservation plan to guide the repair of structural problems and long-term preservation of the building. The building has been determined eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
|1||2015-03-06 18:01:07||2015-03-06 18:04:51||View Edit Delete|
|101||Casa de Adobe Historic Structures Report||
The Autry National Center oversaw the completion of a Historic Structures Report for the historic Casa de Adobe, located on the Figueroa Street alignment of Route 66 in Los Angeles. Built by the Hispanic Society of California, the Casa de Adobe was constructed as a museum in the 1920s, and operated as such throughout the historic period of Route 66. Built as a replica of a 19th century Spanish California rancho, its purpose has always been to honor the history and culture of early Spanish settlers in California.The museum was closed in 1994 due to damage caused by an earthquake. The Historic Structures Report includes a preservation plan to guide the rehabilitation and restored use of the property.
Photo courtesy of Autry National Center.
|1||2015-03-06 18:23:36||2015-03-06 18:39:46||View Edit Delete|
|102||Nob Hill and Premiere Motel Neon Sign Restoration||
The Nob Hill and Premiere Motel neon signs located on Central Avenue in Albuquerque, New Mexico, have been restored to operating condition. The signs join a number of others that have been restored along Route 66 in New Mexico. Both motel properties were built in the 1940s, and are good examples of the motor courts that proliferated with the increase of traffic on Route 66 in Albuquerque. Both motels are listed on the New Mexico State Registry of Cultural Properties. The Nob Hill neon sign was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
|1||2015-03-09 12:20:17||2015-03-09 12:49:59||View Edit Delete|
|103||National Guard Armory Rehabilitation||
Built in 1948, Sapulpa's historic National Guard Armory was home to Company H of the 279th Infantry. Sapulpa citizens remember lining Route 66 from one end of town to the other to watch and wave to the company's convoy as they made their way to Fort Sill each year, and for their deployment and return from the Korean War. Situated a few hundred yards from Sapulpa's historic Parker truss bridge over Rock Creek, the armory had sat vacant for years. With grant assistance, the armory has been rehabilitated to serve as a new Route 66 museum celebrating the automobile as well as the armory and military history on Route 66.
|1||2015-07-16 18:12:54||2016-07-08 18:44:11||View Edit Delete|
|105||Lake Shore Motel Structural Rehabilitation||
The historic Lake Shore Motel (d.b.a. Best Budget Inn) was built in the 1950s according to the prevailing plans for Best Western motels. With an outstanding view of Kellogg Lake, the two-story property still retains much of its historical appearance. The bathrooms feature the original pastel tile and chrome fixtures, and the grounds include the original outdoor swimming pool that was common for Best Western motels of the time. The property remains in good operating condition, however structural issues threaten its long-term viability. Grant funds helped to correct problems with the foundation so that the motel can continue to provide a historic motel experience.
|1||2015-07-16 18:53:03||2016-07-08 18:43:19||View Edit Delete|
|108||Historic Navajo County Courthouse Roof Preservation Plan||
The Navajo County courthouse in Holbrook was built in 1898, when Arizona was still a territory of the United States. It is one of only two courthouses in the state of Arizona built in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. It stood as a prominent landmark on historic Route 66 for many decades. Today it serves as an official Arizona Information Center and houses the Navajo County Historical Society’s Museum, depicting early life and culture in the Holbrook area. The courthouse is the heart of community events, and has traditionally hosted summer American Indian dances for residents and Route 66 travelers. The courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 as a structure of statewide significance. In 2012 a Historic Structures Report was conducted, which identified numerous threats to the stability of the building. Among the highest priorities was the roof, which still has its original wood shingles now covered by asbestos tiles. NPS grant funds will assist in developing a roof repair/replacement plan that will preserve the historic integrity and appearance of the building.
|1||2016-08-24 17:34:09||2016-08-24 17:34:09||View Edit Delete|
|114||Tropics Neon Sign Restoration Project||
The Tropics restaurant was opened in 1950 by Vince Schwenoha in Lincoln, Illinois. Vince served in Hawaii during his WWII tour of duty, which was the inspiration for the name of his new business. The site included a large, signature neon sign that quickly became the symbol of the restaurant and a Route 66 landmark. In 1955 Lew Johnson became manager of the Tropics. Under the leadership of Lew and his wife, Bev, it operated successfully as a family-run business for the next five decades, attracting customers from far and wide. In 2016, the Tropics was inducted into the Route 66 Association of Illinois Hall of Fame. After sitting vacant for ten years, the property was purchased for the construction of a new restaurant. While the building could not be saved, a public/private partnership was put in place between the City of Lincoln, the Logan County Tourism Bureau, and the Johnson Family to preserve and restore the iconic Tropics neon sign.
The Tropics sign will be restored to operating condition to honor the history of the site. Included in the project design is a plan to interpret the story of the Tropics so visitors can learn about the history of the restaurant and its relationship to Route 66.
|1||2017-08-16 18:22:17||2017-08-23 17:35:35||View Edit Delete|
|113||Western Host Motel Door Rehabilitation Project||
The historic Western Host Motel in Grants, New Mexico, was built in the late 1950s, and is an excellent example of a motor inn. Motor inns developed in response to the increasing number of automobile travelers, which in turn, produced demands for more motel rooms. Motor Inns were larger and more luxurious than the earlier motor courts, and were often complexes of two- or three-story buildings organized around a parking lot or courtyard. Interior spaces such as coffee shops turned into full-fledged restaurants often with cocktail lounge, banquet rooms, and meeting spaces. Registration desks became lobbies often with a magazine counter and gift shop. Sleeping rooms were larger and usually featured air conditioning and a television set (Jakle, Sculle, Rogers. The Motel in America, 2002.)
|1||2016-08-26 14:37:34||2016-08-26 16:50:01||View Edit Delete|
|111||Rialto Square Theatre Marquee Restoration Project||
The Rialto Square Theatre in Joliet, Illinois, was built on an original alignment of Route 66 in May of 1926, just six months before the National Highway Act of November 11, 1926 ushered the Mother Road into existence. These two entities – (1) an ornate vaudeville stage and movie palace dispensing “talkies” to a gleeful American public, and (2) a national highway designed to accommodate the new automobile “fad” – would become important elements of US culture from those days forward.
|1||2016-08-26 13:23:05||2016-08-26 15:03:59||View Edit Delete|
|121||Wilder’s Neon Sign Restoration Project||
In 1936, Verne Wilder opened “Wilder’s Buffet” on Main Street in Joplin, Missouri. The restaurant quickly became a thriving hot spot serving fine and exotic foods such as rattle snake and Rocky Mountain Oysters. Located just off of Route 66, the restaurant also served as a tourist information hub for the Ozarks Playground Association, an organization that promoted tourism throughout the region. During WWII, the restaurant was popular with servicemen stationed at nearby Camp Crowder, and by 1950 the seating capacity of the restaurant had expanded to 750. It was during this time that the name changed to “Wilder’s Restaurant” and was open 365 days a year offering fine dining and cocktails, an exotic food and candy counter, a gambling hall, and a tourism information center. While operations and seating have since scaled down, the restaurant remains open for business today.
By 1950 Wilder’s had installed two flashy neon signs to match its reputation. One of these signs was a large animated rooftop sign built specifically to attract the attention of Route 66 travelers. The rooftop sign reportedly “lit up the sky”, but has been inoperable for over 20 years. The grant project will restore the sign to its brilliant, authentic, animated appearance enhancing the neon landscape of Joplin’s Main Street and Route 66.
|1||2017-08-18 18:30:45||2017-08-18 19:34:58||View Edit Delete|