Recognize salt attack. Understand the damaging mechanisms of terrestrial salts. Precisely measure and evaluate salts with our unique field test kit. Effectively repair and remediate damage while preserving load-bearing structure Participate in extensive hands-on lab and field work.
This class is geared towards preservationists, professional builders, engineers and architects wanting to add adobe preservation to their services as well as non-professional owner/builders wishing to learn more about restoring an existing adobe structure. Class topics change depending on the hands-on projects that Pat integrates into each unique session but most classes include:
- Capillary action, permeability, and evaporation in adobe and masonry structures
- Salt Attack: visualizing, detecting, and measuring salt loads
- The role of sacrificial renders and other elements in migrating salts out of load-bearing structure
- Introduction to Adobe Dynamics 101
- Material identification
- Adobe making
- Adobe structural issues and practices
- Adobe Structures Assessment
- Adobe Stabilization, basal and wall
- Traditional plasters
- Earth and stone
- Wood elements
- Structural Retrofit of Historic Earthen Buildings
- Maintenance Plans
- “Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Historic Preservation”
Mesilla Valley Preservation, Inc.
In partnership with Pat Taylor, Inc. and Adobe in Action. Supported by a grant from the National Center for Preservation Technology and Training.