BETA

Harvest Gold

Submitted by Raven Mueller on Thu, 2014-07-10 09:34
Trade Name Alias: 
Stone Type (Commercial): 
Availability: 
Available
Physical Data
Color: 
Munsell Color(s): 
Geology
Grain Shape: 
Angular
Subangular
Grain Sorting: 
Well-Sorted
Grain Size: 
Medium
Petrographic Description: 

Specimen: 2014-042

This specimen is a well compacted sandstone. Sand sized particles constitute nearly 100 percent of slide area. The detrital grains are composed of about 75 percent quartz; approximately 90 percent mono-crystaline, with polycrystalline and aphanitic varieties of lithic origin composing the remaining 10 percent. The remaining 25 percent of slide area was originally occupied by feldspars and ferromagnesian minerals or lithic varieties composed of these minerals. These have now almost completely weathered to a variety of clay and mica species. Kaolinite, smectite, and sericite group minerals as well as oxyhydroxides are all present in these alteration areas. About 10 percent of the slide area is angular void space that gives the impression of missing grains. These areas likely also contained alteration products lost in slide preparation and are counted toward their 25 percent estimate. In regards to the quartz component, maximum grain size is 1.1 mm and minimum is .1 mm. This minimum is in reference to original detrital grain size, not the smallest crystal in polycrystalline grains, which ranges down to cryptocrystalline. Modal grain size is approximately .35 to .65 mm. The overall texture is well sorted. Grain boundaries show insipient suturing that has obscured original grain shape. The parent material for this sandstone was a geologically mature sand. The high degree of weathering of the non-quartz component makes qualitative classification difficult but based on this thin section the sandstone appears to be an arkose. There is no macrostructure, such as bedding, visible in this thin section.

7/10/2015 MP

Images

Click thumbnail for larger image.
Specimen ID
2014-042 Image of specimen in dry conditions. Finish: Smooth sawndownload image Close-up image of specimen in dry conditions. Finish: Smooth sawndownload image Image of specimen in wet conditions. Finish: Smooth sawndownload image Close-up image of specimen in wet conditions. Finish: Smooth sawndownload image

Thin Sections

Click thumbnail for larger image.
Specimen ID Non-polarized Cross-polarized
2014-042 Specimen shown in non-polarized light.download image Specimen shown in cross-polarized light.download image

Quarry

NOTE: Quarry locations are approximate.

Raducz Stone Corporation
313 Pittsburgh Road
16002 Butler , Pennsylvania
United States
40° 48' 5.6844" N, 79° 55' 39.216" W
Pennsylvania US

Report an Issue

CAPTCHA
Type the words or phrase shown below to verify that you are not a robot.