BETA

Cedar Hill Cream

Submitted by Raven Mueller on Thu, 2014-07-10 09:16
Stone Type (Commercial): 
Description: 

A consistent light cream stone that takes a polish.

Availability: 
Available
Physical Data
Munsell Color(s): 
Absorption (%): 
4.74
Density (lb/cf): 
132.55
Flexural Strength, Dry (psi): 
751
Modulus of Rupture, Dry (psi): 
854
Compressive Strength, Dry (psi): 
3,200
Bulk Specific Gravity: 
2.12
Abrasion Resistance: 
5.29
Geology
Stone Type (Lithologic): 
Chronostratigraphy: 
Grain Shape: 
Subrounded
Rounded
Grain Sorting: 
Poorly-Sorted
Grain Size: 
Medium
Petrographic Description: 

Specimen 2014-037
This specimen is a fossiliferous limestone. The limestone is grain supported with a predominantly sparite cement matrix. Allochems constitute about 75 percent of slide area. These criteria define the limestone as a grainstone. Allochem composition is about 40 percent ooid, 40 percent bioclast, 15 percent peloid, and 5 percent intraclast. These estimates and degree of sorting classify this limestone as a rounded oosparite. Identifiable intraclasts are mostly 1.5 mm and smaller. Most bioclasts are heavily rounded and difficult to identify, but characteristic extinction patterns and crystal habits indicate enchinoderms and Composita sp. brachiopods were among the forms present. Most bioclasts have micritic envelopes. Maximum brachiopod size is about 1.1 mm and maximum identifiable echinoderm is 1.3 mm. Ooids and the less common peloids have similar size ranges with a maximum near 1.1 mm, a minimum of .08, and a modal range around .3 to .7 mm. Secondary quartz is extremely rare and occurs within particles in a size range around .2 mm. One likely detrital quartz grain was noted with a maximum dimension of .9 mm. Extant voids are rare at less than 1 percent of slide area and mostly occur as halos around grains, reflecting preferential removal of micritic envelopes and the outer rinds of ooids. On rock surfaces this sort of erosion would liberate the entire grain, and this pattern is visible on the hand sample. Iron hydroxide stains a small number of the ooid and peloids and is responsible for the slight yellowish color of the hand sample. The degree of allochem preservation suggests lithification prior to significant compaction.
MP 7/21/2015

Specimen 2014-062
This specimen is a fossiliferous limestone. The limestone is grain supported with a predominantly sparite cement matrix. Allochems comprise around 80 percent of non-void slide area. These criteria define the limestone as a grainstone. Identifiable Allochem composition is about 75 percent peloid. The remaining 25 percent is composed of bioclasts. These estimates and degree of sorting characterize the limestone as a fossiliferous rounded pelsparite. Brachiopod species predominate, including Composita sp. Likely echnioderm fragments are also present and occasionally present syntaxial overgrowth. Maximum peloid size is .75 mm, minimum is .15 and a modal range is around .25 to .5 mm. Maximum dimensions for brachiopod fragments is .9 mm. A modal size for brachiopod fragments is around .5 mm in the maximum dimension. Authigenic quartz is extremely rare and usually fibrous in habit. Voids are common and constitute about 20 percent of slide area. These voids are almost entirely the result of the dissolution of micritic peloids. This pattern suggests the voids are secondary and perhaps a relatively recent phenomenon of near surface weathering.
MP 9/4/2014

Images

Click thumbnail for larger image.
Specimen ID
2014-037 Image of specimen in dry conditions. Finish: download image Image of specimen in wet conditions. Finish: download image
2014-062 Image of specimen in dry conditions. Finish: download image Image of specimen in wet conditions. Finish: download image

Thin Sections

Click thumbnail for larger image.
Specimen ID Non-polarized Cross-polarized
2014-037 Specimen shown in non-polarized light.download image Specimen shown in cross-polarized light.download image
2014-062 Specimen shown in non-polarized light.download image Specimen shown in cross-polarized light.download image

Quarry

NOTE: Quarry locations are approximate.

TexaStone Quarries
1400 Sherrod Rd
79739 Garden City , Texas
United States
31° 58' 56.2008" N, 101° 26' 25.44" W
Texas US

Report an Issue

CAPTCHA
Type the words or phrase shown below to verify that you are not a robot.