Applications are invited from qualified candidates for Technical Services Research Associate at the National Center for Preservation Technology and Training (NCPTT). The research associate will be an employee of Northwestern State University of Louisiana (NSU). This position is full time with benefits with an annual salary of $50,598. Candidates must meet eligibility criteria for state employment.
NCPTT is an office of the National Park Service (NPS) located on the NSU campus in Natchitoches, Louisiana. NCPTT serves the historic preservation community nationwide by advancing the application of science and technology to historic preservation issues.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
The research associate will conduct a wide range of analyses on materials found in historic buildings, archeological sites, and museum collections. This position will support in-house research as well as provide technical services for NPS units and other federal, state, and nonprofit partners.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of historic preservation and hands-on experience testing cultural materials.
- Ability to establish and manage a technical services program.
- Knowledge of laboratory practices, including safety requirements and experimental procedures.
- Ability to maintain or coordinate maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of computer programs such as Microsoft Office, FileMaker Pro, Adobe PhotoShop, and Adobe InDesign, to produce documents ranging from database forms and reports to word-processed manuscripts.
The position requires a person who has a broad knowledge of historic preservation in addition to technical laboratory skills. The preferred candidate will have at least a bachelor’s degree in science, historic preservation, conservation, or related field and at least two years of graduate level education in a related field, or significant lab experience. Must have a broad technical knowledge of most aspects of laboratory operations, regulatory and safety requirements, and experimental design. Must have authorization to work in the United States indefinitely without restriction or sponsorship. Some travel may be required.
To apply, send a letter of interest and resume to NCPTT, 645 University Parkway, Natchitoches, LA 71457, Attn. Materials Conservator, FAX to 318-356-9119, or email to email@example.com. Position is open until filled. For more information, call 318-356‑7444.
Northwestern State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.