Russell Cave National Monument is one of the National Park Service’s many archaeological sites. Russell Cave has one of the most complete records of prehistoric cultures in the Southeast. In the early 1950s, the Tennessee Valley Authority was surveying the land near Russell Cave. One crew member heard of artifacts found inside the cave. Paul Brown and others excavated the cave and brought artifacts to the Smithsonian. The Smithsonian partnered with National Geographic and the rest is history. In 1958, National Geographic donated the land to the American people. In 1961, President John F. Kennedy created Russell Cave National Monument. For more information about the archaeological discovery of Russell Cave, visit this link. For more information about Russell Cave National Monument, visit its website.

Russell Cave2

National Center for Preservation Technology and Training
645 University Parkway
Natchitoches, LA 71457

Email: ncptt[at]nps.gov
Phone: (318) 356-7444
Fax: (318) 356-9119