For sixteen years, Bent’s Old Fort was the center of the St. Vrain Company’s trade empire.  It was the only permanent white settlement on the Santa Fe Trail between Missouri and the Mexican Settlements.  Unfortunately, Bent’s Old Fort’s occupants abandoned it in 1849 due to disaster and disease.  In 1976, archaeological excavations were used along with other resources to reconstruct the fort.  Today it is known as Bent’s Old Fort National Historical Site.  For more information about Bent’s Old Fort National Historical Site, visit its website.

Bent's Old Fort Header

National Center for Preservation Technology and Training
645 University Parkway
Natchitoches, LA 71457

Email: ncptt[at]nps.gov
Phone: (318) 356-7444
Fax: (318) 356-9119