“In 1989, the University of South Alabama began a long-term investigation of Old Mobile, the first formal European colonial town on the US Gulf Coast, established in 1702 as headquarters of the French colony of Louisiane and abandoned in 1711. Much of the 70 acre town site has since been investigated archaeologically, but the location of Fort Louis has not yet been determined with certainty” (1).
In December 2001 a geophysical survey was conducted to search for remains of Fort Louis. Three methods–earth conductivity, magnetometry, and thermal imaging–were conducted in a 5.7 acre target area (1).
In 2004, NCPTT supported the Friends of Mobile with funding to enable the application of two additional geophysical survey methods: electrical resistance and ground penetrating radar. A goal of the project was comparing the applicability of all five remote sensing methods through ground truthing test excavations (1).
The complete narrative final report from the study is available through the above download.
(1): Narrative final report of “Application of Complementary Geophysical Survey Techniques in the Search for Fort Louis at Old Mobile: A Comparative Case Study,” submitted by the Friends of Old Mobile, Inc., and the Center for Archaeological Studies, University of South Alabama.